Initial Remarks

Go down

Initial Remarks

Post  totlmstr on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 pm

I've been using this for a short time now, and I happen to like it so far. It's comparable to the many calculators I've used for my various mathematics classes, and I'm now in Calculus. However, does your function input accept multiple variables, e.g. Interest = P*e^(r*t) where P, r, and t are modifiable and P > 1?

On another note, I would extremely recommend that there would be categorical layouts, like Trig, Basic, etc. so that the calculator isn't filled with unrelated objects. In Trig, for example, it would include the (as seen in the calc) the blue and black fonts along with pi, while Basic would have the general functions (black font). I'm still a person who relies on a mouse, not the keyboard, so this would be helpful. Of course, there would be a complete layout that has every function, variable, etc.

Final note: the "Purchase/Activate" is a bit dubious, considering that this program is borderline freeware/shareware. Would "Upgrade" work?

Some strange problems as seen in the Version log (-(2+2) = 0?). This has a good potential of replacing many calculators (like my TI-89, for example). Work the kinks out, and you should be fine.

totlmstr

Back to top Go down

Re: Initial Remarks

Post  totlmstr on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:41 pm

A bit of an update, but this will sound more like a request unlike my previous comment. It's just my two cents.

In tandem with the multi-input variables I mentioned before, can you also put in the Summation formula? It is used widely in most high-level mathematics, starting from around Algebra 2, and can also work on your graphing applications (or do you already have it?). Graphs/graphing applictions are the ones that use this important formula the most, however. Of course, it's best to go with the common layout for the input: Summation(equation, variable, low, high).

Also, a very helpful addition to this would be a decimal-to-fraction conversion, which may be shown as frac(x.xxx) = x/y. In general, it has the reverse effect of the normal computations (e.g., where 7/4 = 1.75, it works in reverse). If this is able to be put into the calculator, it may be leagues ahead of the competition.

totlmstr

Back to top Go down

Post  runiter on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi totlmstr, Thanks for your excellent feedback.

However, does your function input accept multiple variables, e.g. Interest = P*e^(r*t) where P, r, and t are modifiable and P > 1?
Yes it does. If you type the above equations and press Enter, the 3 unknown variables will be automatically declared for you as shown here:

I would extremely recommend that there would be categorical layouts
I agree the keypanel needs work but categorizing may not be the best solution as most typical users would probably use a mix of several categories and switching back and forth between categories is a pain. I am considering finding an easy/quick way for user to customize the key panel to their own liking. Hoping I will find a practical way.

a very helpful addition to this would be a decimal-to-fraction conversion
This has also been in my list, but I wanted to provide a way to do it without calling a function and allow a wider range of conversations like decimal to hex, binary, etc.

Final note: the "Purchase/Activate" is a bit dubious, considering that this program is borderline freeware/shareware. Would "Upgrade" work?
Interesting point. I will look into it. It's a little tricky since Upgrade may be confused by Update which can be found under Help menu.

can you also put in the Summation formula?
Definitely, summation would be a very useful function and with my calculator it's fairly easy to add. I will add it to next version. For now you can use recursive methods instead. For example:

sum(i, start, end)=i+sum(i, start+1, end);start<=end

Then to get sum of all numbers between 10 and 50, type:
sum(1,10,50)

runiter
Admin

View user profile http://www.runiter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down